History of Wolfreton
Our Golden Reunion on Friday 21 May 2010 was attended by over 300 former staff and students. A Special Edition newsletter with all the photos went on sale and copies can still be ordered by contacting the school.
As a result of the event, the school is building up an electronic archive. If you have any old pictures or documents you would like including in our archive, please contact the school.
Lower School Timeline
West Block contract signed 6 May 1957. Plans drawn up between April – June 1956. Builder: Thomas Holmes & Sons Ltd. Tendered amount: £141,560 6s 9d (approx £2.5million).
West Block progress of works photo album begins. Caretaker’s and Headteacher’s houses – contract signed 5 July 1957. Builder: Scruton & Co Builders Ltd. Tendered amount: £5,800 (approx £100,000). Plans drawn up between July 1956 (Head’s) and August 1956 (Caretaker’s).
School opens to students
West Block progress of works final photo taken.
Official opening by Brigadier Sir John Hunt, Kt, C.B.E, D.S.O., D.C.L, LLD, Secretary to the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme. The Chairman for the proceedings was Lt. Col Sir John Dunnington-Jefferson, Bt, D.S.O., J.P., D.L., LLD, Chairman of the East Riding County Council.
East Block and Youth Annex – contract signed 8 February 1963. Builder: J Mather & Son Ltd. Plans drawn up Feb 1962. Tendered amount: £161,592 1s 8d (approx £2.6 million).
East Block progress of works photo album begins
East Block progress of works final photo taken
Upper School opens (latterly known as East Block) and housed the senior forms from Third Year upwards. The original building is now known as the Lower School (latterly known as West Block).
The school becomes known as Wolfreton School.
Laboratory extension in East Block – contract signed 5 July 1974. Plans drawn up May 1973. Builder: Anderson-Curtis Ltd. Tendered amount: £32,050 (approx £250,000).
Performing Arts Centre created at the Lower School following extensive refurbishment of the original East Riding Youth Centre.
Construction work starts on new school buildings.
Upper School Timeline
Plans drawn up for installation of F.A. / class start, Television / Radio, Telephone access conduits. Main part of Upper School (originally referred to as the Senior Department) – contract signed 25 March 1968. Plans drawn up between November 1966 and August 1967. Builder: J Mather & Son Ltd. Tendered amount: £316,128 7s (approx £4.1million).
Modern Languages (originally English) department, Playshed (now called Sports Hall), and extension for Maths on ground floor and History and Geography on upper floor. Languages area plans drawn up November 1966, Maths extension plans drawn up September 1969. Playshed plans drawn up November 1969. Contract signed 9 March 1970. Builder: J Mather & Son Ltd. Tendered amount: £57,568 12s 3d (approx £690,000).
Opening of the new Upper School site, South Ella Way to students.
Official opening by H.R.H. Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowden.
School holiday granted to commemorate the official opening of the Upper School by H.R.H. Princess Margaret.
Friends of Wolfreton School first committee meeting
Caretaker’s house contract. Plans drawn up between June 1967-June 1968. Builder: Anderson-Curtis Ltd. Tendered amount: £4,997 (approx £55,000).
Sixth Form Block Phase 1 – contract signed 12 July 1974. Plans drawn up between May 1973 and January 1974 already refer to Phase 2. Builder: Evington & Miller (Builders) Ltd. Tendered amount: £98,799 2d (approx £770,000). Evington & Miller went into receivership circa 1976 and £5,777.30 (approx £31,000) was owed to the receiver for this project. Butterworth Bros (Electrical) was the sub-contractor.
Sixth Form Block Phase 2 – contract signed 17 May 1977. Plans drawn up between October-December 1976. Builder: J S Young Building Contractors (Hull) Ltd. Tendered amount: £66,123.65 (approx £310,000). This provided 75 additional Sixth Form places to bring it up to the size suitable for 1955 students. (1,725 plus 230 Sixth Form).
Temporary Science accommodation contract signed. Plans drawn up between February-May 1977. Three laboratories were required for September 1977 to accommodate additional students and to reduce overcrowding in existing laboratories. Contractor: Spooners (Hull) Ltd. Tendered amount: £32,944 (approx £150,000).
Renewal of roof felt for: Area 4 - housecraft rooms, offices, library. Area 5 – metalwork and woodwork rooms. Area 6 – technical drawing block. Area 7 –art area, music area, and including covered ways. Contract signed 26 February 1983. Contractor was M J Byron. Tendered amount: £68,104.96 (approx £170,000).
Rushanje House officially opened.
Information courtesy of East Riding of Yorkshire Council Archive and Local Studies Section